Pearl Harbor Kai Elementary School, located within the Naval Housing area - Hale Moku, was first opened in 1943 and was then known as the Naval Housing School. The school was later known as Pearl Harbor Elementary School and, presently, as Pearl Harbor Kai Elementary. A preponderance of military dependents and a high transiency rate characterizes the composition of the student population. 95% of the students are classified as federally connected as parents are on active duty with the Navy, Marines or the Army. The administration, staff, faculty, students and parents have always taken great pride in Pearl Harbor Kai. The school's motto is "Continuing the Quest for Learning".